Thursday, February 09, 2006

Humanity is My Religion, Cosmopolitan My Caste

“Do I believe in religion and caste?” This question is asked me so many times from so many people, and it always makes me go brainstorming. Am I actually into much into caste or religion? Being born in Hindu Rajput family I can boost of a richest religion and a high caste with a rich history and heritage. Definitely it’s something of being proud, but pride…! Of course.., not. I ‘ve been born and bought up in New Delhi, which is a very cosmopolitan city with different caste and culture people mingling together; celebrating Christmas, Id, Nanak Birthday with the same Joy as Diwali. People here are very optimistic, warm, friendly, caring, helping, jolly natured and very progressive. If you survey all over India, maximum people with smiles celebrating each time of the year would be found in Delhi itself. They are very flexible of the change to open thinking and adaptive of modern culture and technology. In a recent report about Delhi it is said in a span of Ten years, New Delhi would be a Hi-tech modern city very next to New York. So you see.., in Delhi religion and caste is of little importance.
“That’s ok, but what about relationships?’ was thrown back instantly. Well my dear, when you are in a city you close friend circle becomes you relations who stand by you in your joy and sorrow. And you don’t make friends on the basis of caste and religion, do you? at least I don’t. what matters to me in a relationship is how well you get along with each other, sharing some common interests, someone you can share your heart to and understands theirs, comfortable to be with and easy to talk to, who gives me space to be myself in expression and behavior and other small things and values our relationship in the same manner like I do. Small other things do matter, but are not of prime importance. Now, the next think you might think that I am trying to promote Inter-Caste marriage. Though I love my culture and tradition very much and would like to be with someone of the similar upbringing and background, I don’t oppose the above. Many of my friends had inter-caste marriages and are much happier than the couples on same caste. Caste has nothing to do with the compatibility. It minds that think alike and hearts that sings the same melody, that makes a marriage success. Caste definitely defines a similar culture, language, food, festivals and some more little things, but in big cities these things are of little importance. Here the caste is cosmopolitan and culture humanity. And that’s true for me too. What about you… ?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home